Your Guide to Neck Gaiters
Dec 14, 2020
Neck gaiters have long been used by backpackers, cyclists, runners, and travelers as a multipurpose tool to protect your face and neck. But now that wearing a face mask has become the norm, neck gaiters have gained even more popularity with the general population as a convenient, comfortable alternative to surgical and cloth masks.
Best of all, neck gaiters are versatile and have many different uses!
What is a neck gaiter?
Similar to a bandanna, but even more multifunctional, a neck gaiter is essentially an elasticized tube of fabric that comes in various materials and designs. It’s a great multipurpose piece of clothing that protects you from the elements. Neck gaiters are used for a wide range of activities and come in handy in both hot and cold weather!
What can a neck gaiter be used for?
Neck gaiters are known for being extremely versatile, and they’re a favorite among athletes and travelers. Here are a few common uses:
- Helmet liner: Add an extra layer of protection underneath your helmet.
- Glasses cleaner: Keep your neck gaiter handy to clean off your glasses as needed.
- Winter scarf: Stay warm by pulling the gaiter over your head to cover your neck and protect from the cold.
- Sweatband: Stay cool and soak up sweat by wearing your neck gaiter around your head as a sweatband.
- Sun protection: Protect your face and neck from getting burnt on sunny days.
- UV protection: Use a neck gaiter to protect your face and neck area from the adverse effects of UV rays.
- Headband/Hair tie: Keep your hair out of your face by folding your neck gaiter into a headband, or use it to tie your hair into a ponytail.
- Face mask: Keep yourself and others safe when you’re out and about by wearing your neck gaiter as a face mask.
Can I use a neck gaiter as a face mask to prevent the spread of coronavirus?
With the current coronavirus pandemic, you may be wondering whether a neck gaiter is an effective replacement for a face mask. The answer is yes!
A neck gaiter can serve as a comfortable and stylish replacement for a face mask. Forget about looping a mask around your ears – simply pull the neck gaiter up over your nose and you’re good to go!
Back in August, some bogus reports emerged, saying that wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than going maskless. But this claim was quickly proven false. Scientists and medical professionals have since confirmed that neck gaiters are effective, particularly triple-layered masks like this one from VF Fashion Mask.
If you choose to wear a neck gaiter as a replacement for a mask, remember to wear it correctly by fully covering your nose and mouth. Of course, it’s still important to socially distance, avoid large gatherings, and follow CDC guidelines!
5 benefits of wearing a neck gaiter
- Convenience - Neck gaiters are lightweight and easy to fit in a pocket or purse, and you can simply slip them on and off as needed.
- Comfort - Neck gaiters are designed to wick away sweat and keep you comfortable and dry. Plus, they’re typically made of soft materials such as cotton and bamboo.
- Style - These garments come in a variety of colors and designs and can be the perfect accessory to your outfit.
- Multifunctionality - It’s hard to find a piece of clothing that has more uses than a neck gaiter! From sun protection to a winter scarf to a face mask, neck gaiters are high-value, versatile items that come in handy more often than you’d expect.
- Sustainability - These reusable, washable garments are much more sustainable and environmentally-friendly than single-use face masks!
How to Wear a Neck Gaiter
One of the best things about neck gaiters is that there are many different ways to wear them – and there’s really no right or wrong way, either! Neck gaiters are versatile enough to be worn in a variety of configurations!
- Hair tie
- Hat liner
The Elemental Bamboo Neck Gaiter
This neck gaiter from Elemental is made of bamboo fabric, which is considered the most eco-friendly fabric on the planet! Bamboo is naturally antibacterial, and it wicks away moisture and absorbs sweat. Plus, it’s hypoallergenic, protects against UV rays, and feels incredibly soft against your skin!
To make it even more comfortable, a built-in nose contour shapes the neck gaiter to your face.
Wear the Elemental bamboo neck gaiter as an alternative to a face mask, or use it during a fishing or hiking trip. Wear it around your wrist like a scrunchie, or use your neck gaiter to pull your hair back. Keep warm in the winter by employing your neck gaiter as a scarf, and stay cool and dry in the summer thanks to the sweat-wicking material. The possibilities and benefits of wearing a neck gaiter are limitless!